CLOSING DATE EXTENDED TO FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 22ND.
This position will be 30-40 hours/wk which will be determined by need and number of qualified applications. He/she will be under the direction/supervision of the Joint Management Team and under direct supervision of the school administration. Successful candidate will assist in implementing and supporting educational programs for All Aboriginal students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing academic and personal support to students ranging from Gr. 8-12 while working cooperatively with teaching staff, counsellors, school admin and others. This includes:
- Academic support in-class.
- Tutoring supports.
- Ability to build and maintain rapport with students, demonstrating patience and understanding when resolving problems or conflicts that may arise.
- Helping students to access appropriate in-school supports.
- Supporting students to participate in school-wide activities.
- Provides supports to students in secondary schools/programs in various sites including Brooks Secondary, Brooks Offsite Program (BOP), Ahms Tah Ow and Connect-Ed.
- Supporting the Student Support Teacher and other Aboriginal Education staff by tracking and reporting on students’ indicators of success including:
- Achievement/marks/course progress.
- Engagement in school activities.
- Ensuring confidentially protocols are respected.
- Communicating with families re: attendance, school progress and school/community events.
- Working with other agencies and organizations to support student participation.
- Participating in and supporting student participation in school-wide activities.
- Supporting in Tla’amin Language and Culture classes.
- Supporting students in Work Experience placements (transportation and some direct support).
- Supervising in the school as needed.
- Supporting cultural education activities.
- Must be willing to attend professional development days and specialized training as may be required.
- Will be required to work outside of regular business hours re: after-school tutoring.
- Other duties as directed by the management team or school administration.
- Must have a reliable safe vehicle to get to work, and for transporting students.
- High school Diploma or Dogwood.
- Preferably, candidate will have certification as an Educational Assistant from a recognized institution, including a successful supervised practicum, or certification in relevant field.
- Demonstrated effective/positive experience working with aboriginal youth.
- Preferably have volunteer and/or paid experience working with people with disabilities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Preferably possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
- Satisfactory Driver’s abstract upon acceptance of position.
- Knowledge of the Tla’amin community and available services.
- Knowledge of local, provincial and Federal services available to aboriginal youth.
- OFA level one desirable.
- Satisfactory criminal record check upon acceptance of position.
This position will start at 8:00AM and will include:
- Opening the FN Room at Brooks and meeting/supporting students as they arrive to school and ensuring they are prepared for the day.
- Providing academic and personal support during the school day.
- Supporting students at after-school tutoring.
*Work schedule is aligned with Brooks Secondary School opening and closures. Position will have Summer Season off according to Brooks Calendar.
Please submit a recent resume along with relevant certifications.
For applicants with EA certification, please provide certification and practicum reports including email addresses of 1-2 sponsor teachers or EA mentors/supervisors as references (if applicable).
*Salary to be determined.
Resumes may be submitted via email to: email@example.com or submitted to front desk at the TN Governance building by Friday, Feb 15, 2019 at 4pm.
Applicants of TN ancestry are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those who are short-listed will be contacted for an interview.
Download FN Student Support Worker [PDF]