The Tla’amin Nation is a modern, forward thinking, self-governing nation located on the beautiful upper Sunshine Coast (qathet Region).
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller leads and oversees the day-to-day activities of the Finance Department. The Controller leads a team of finance and accountings staff with varied experience and backgrounds. The Controller builds strong relationships across the organization and ensures excellent internal service and stewardship of Tla’amin’s financial resources.
Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with Tla’amin laws, regulations, policies, practices and procedures as directed by the Chief Financial Officer. Maintains confidentiality as required pertaining to Citizens, clients, employees and general matters of the Nation.
Financial Operations and Oversight
- Provides governance for all financial transactions including accounts receivable, accounts payable, funding, and general ledger entries.
- Supports the Chief Financial Officer in the development and management of the Nation’s budgets.
- Manages banking relationships, cash flow monitoring and banking security.
- Oversees year-end transactions and audit file preparation.
- Liaises with external accounting firm for assurance engagements.
- Maintains/updates accounting procedures and policies.
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Prepares consolidated financial reporting, variance analysis and dashboards.
- Prepares departmental reports with analysis of actual to budget.
- Supports Chief Financial Officer to empower Finance Committee & Department Managers with accessible and insightful financial information to assist in decision-making.
- Continually improves budgeting analysis for financial planning & accountability.
- Manages general ledger, department, and project reporting structure.
- Ensures accounting software functionality meets reporting requirements.
- Supports managers and Finance Committee with ad hoc analysis and reporting as required.
Finance Team Management
- Provides leadership to the Finance Team and oversees the daily activities of staff.
- Oversees day-to-day transaction processing, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, bank transactions and statements, cash transactions and other financial transactions affecting the general ledger. Ensures bank deposits are made.
- Communicates effectively and ensures clarity of roles and responsibilities.
- Ensures staff have tools, training and resources to accomplish their work.
- Ensures that policies and procedures are understood and followed by staff.
- Monitors performance of staff and ensures a healthy and safe work environment.
- Responsible for hiring, orientation, supervision and training of direct reports.
- Conducts regular performance planning and review with employees, providing constructive feedback and managing performance as required.
- Works to continuously improve processes across the Finance team.
- Oversees records management and ensures that filing and records management systems are maintained as required by law or policy.
- Maintains a current level of knowledge or related external regulations, laws, requirements and programs.
- CPA designation.
- 5-7 years of progressive experience in finance/accounting including supervising the work of others. Experience working in and with Indigenous government is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience managing intercompany transactions and service agreements.
- Advanced proficiency with accounting software from daily recording transactions and reconciliations to design and set-up of new corporations, chart of accounts and financial statements. Experience with Xyntax is an asset.
- Highly developed MS Office & Google Suite skills with extensive working knowledge of Excel & Google Sheets.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to share information with consistency and clarity.
- Ability to build, lead and mentor a team.
- Ability to develop and implement policies and procedures.
- Acceptable Police Information Check.
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License and acceptable driver’s abstract.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Occasional travel to attend meetings or training is required.
How to Apply
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter online to: https://tlaaminfirst.bamboohr.com/careers/36 or by email to: Human Resources: email@example.com noting “Controller” in the subject heading of your e-mail or drop-off/mail to Tla’amin Nation, 4779 Klahanie Rd, Powell River, BC, V8A 0C4
Closing Date: October 28. 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.