Controller – Powell River
Our client, Tla’amin Management Services is in search for a Controller to join their team. TMS is the business arm of the Tla’amin Nation. They have over 20 years of experience in conducting business, particularly in land development, forestry, aquaculture, retail, hospitality, and tourism.
TMS’ mandate is to generate revenue streams to foster the economic and social betterment of Tla’amin people. They are committed to establishing a strong economic foundation and providing effective management of the assets and resources.
At present they are looking for a Controller to lead their day-to-day finance operations and supervise a small team. The primary functional responsibilities include full cycle accounting, budgeting process, and grants administration and oversight of the payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable. The Controller is accountable to ensure that TMSLP finance systems and policies are in place and effectively support the business operations, financial audits and mitigate risk.
The Controller is involved and supports presentations to the Board and FARM Committee and works closely with the TMSLP management team.
- Full oversight of the financial statements and budgets for five business entities
- Mentor, coach, support, and train team of three administration and accounting staff
- Year End audits and reviews.
Education and Training
- Accounting Designation (CPA, CMA preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Management or Finance (minimum)
- MBA (Accounting or Business Administration would be an asset)
- Strong Proficiency with Accounting/Financial Management Software
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Office Word, Teams and Outlook
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of applicable laws and regulations
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in management accounting and financial administration and reporting, including internal control, accounting, budgeting, and cash flow (5+ years)
- Full cycle Accounting for multiple entities
- Corporate Accounting and Auditing experience
- Significant experience in managing all aspects of AR, AP and GL reconciliation
- Successful experience planning, organizing, managing, and communicating financial management activities
- Demonstrated ability to secure funding and establish strategic partnerships in support of program objectives
- Leading teams (Coaching/Mentoring/Training staff)
- Understanding of both Tla’amin Nation’s and TMLSP’s purpose and goals
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and be effective in both written and verbal communication
- Proven ability to effectively communicate financial information and be an influence for positive changes
- Excellent analytical skills with a solid understanding of accounting and business concepts
- Strong Collaboration skills to build relationships at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work under pressure and meet reporting deadlines
- Ability to be creative and think outside the box for idea generation in the support of the Management team
- Must be willing to roll up their sleeves and take a hands-on approach both within the TMSLP management team and in the support of other business
- A high degree of satisfactory cultural competency and knowledge of First Nations communities.
How to Apply
Please apply by sending your resume by email to: Karen Epp, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com Please note “Controller – Powell River (6858)” in the subject heading of your e-mail