The Tla’amin Nation is a modern, forward-thinking First Nation government at an exciting point in its history. In April 2016, the community became self-governing through the Modern Treaty Process. You have the opportunity to participate in making history, while situated in this stunning, safe and serene coastal community in Powell River, BC. As we continue to complete filling the roles in our organization chart, we have an exciting new position to implement.
Title: Director of Human Resources
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent – Senior Management
Reporting to: Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
• A comprehensive health & dental plan and disability insurance fully paid for by the Nation
• An optional pension plan with matched contributions.
• Competitive salary, to be determined based on the qualification of applicant.
Working with a dynamic group of Directors and Managers, you are a strategic HR leader who wants to contribute to what is already a successful First Nation government. You are comfortable coaching and mentoring at all levels to leverage successful outcomes.
• Managing all aspects of Human Resources with a focus on employee relations, recruitment, retention, performance management, training and development, health and wellness.
• Becoming a trusted leader to management and employees, providing guidance on all areas of HR and treating confidential matters with discretion and thoughtful support.
• Helping to develop and promote an ethical culture, while fostering a collaborative team approach in all matters.
• Developing strategies and procedures for succession planning to align with short and long-term organizational objectives in collaboration with the leadership team.
• Advising hiring managers on compensation strategies.
• Providing guidance to staff on career development.
• Developing and mentoring direct reporting staff in the areas of HR, payroll and benefits.
• Experience working in a First Nation environment.
• Chartered Professional in Human Resources designation.
• Five plus years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources positions.
• Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning and development, employee relations, safety, and training.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and develop Human Resources staff members.
• Demonstrated ability to serve as a successful participant on the executive management team.
• Comfortable interacting effectively with elected leadership.
• Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Office environment, including database management and record keeping.
• Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other Human Resources programs.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, and excellent organizational skills.
Deadline: This opportunity will remain open until the position is filled.
A criminal record check and driving abstract which are acceptable to the Nation will be required from the successful candidate.
Please submit resume and cover letter, using “HR Director” as the subject, to:
or, marked with “HR Director”, to: 4779 Klahanie Road, Powell River, BC V8A 0C4
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Absolutely no phone calls please