Tla’amin is a self-governing Nation located on the Sunshine Coast in Powell River British Columbia. We are seeking to hire a full-time, permanent GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Specialist who will work interactively with our Lands, Forestry, Referrals, Public Works Departments, and other internal Departments as required. This is a new position, so the successful incumbent will build and develop the GIS Department in the following capacity:
- Assist in conducting a needs assessment for the Nation’s GIS needs;
- Identify and set up GIS system and equipment.
- Updating the information (maps, data, etc.) into the new GIS system.
- Manage GIS projects and serve as GIS lead on projects of varying lengths.
- Interpret and analyze spatial and non-spatial data.
- Establish working relationships with department managers and various consultants.
- Implement procedures for data integrity and quality control.
- Perform complex spatial analysis using scripts and geoprocessing tools.
- Create and edit shapefiles, file geodatabases, raster surfaces and other spatial and non-spatial data.
- Produce custom thematic maps for technical reports and field surveys.
- Fieldwork as required to assist with GPS coordinates of natural resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly indicate that you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- A degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or a related field AND 2 years relevant experience (acquired within the last 4 years); OR
- Technical Diploma in GIS AND 4 years of relevant experience (gained within the last 6 years); OR
- An equivalent combination of education, training and related experience may be considered.
Relevant experience would include:
- Experience with contemporary GIS and GIS-related systems.
- Prior experience in the delivery of GIS products and analytical solutions as they relate to Forestry and LiDAR, First Nations, Natural Resources, and rural communities.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to write reports, recommendations and responses, along with strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and/or as a team to meet deadlines and timelines.
- Willingness and ability to conduct ground truthing or outdoor investigations and research
- Must undergo and submit a satisfactory criminal record check prior to employment.
Interested applicants are required to submit a resume with a cover letter describing their qualifications and experience to:
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax to: 1-778-762-5240
- Or to the Governance Building at 4779 Klahanie Rd., Powell River, BC, V8A-0C4
We encourage everyone to submit their applications by Friday, March 27, 2020 at 4PM*.
*This posting will remain open until the successful applicant is hired.