Housing Administration Assistant
The Tla’amin Nation is a modern, forward-thinking, self-governing nation located on the beautiful upper Sunshine Coast (qathet Region).
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 4:30 (occasional evening or weekend hours as required)
Reporting to: Housing Manager
Department: Public Works
Reporting to the Housing Manager, the Housing Administration Assistant ensures efficient and timely operations of the Housing Department while supporting the Housing Manager. The Housing Administration Assistant is responsible to maintain respectful relationships with Tla’amin Nation staff, Community and tenants.
Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with Tla’amin laws, regulations, policies, practices and procedures as directed by the Housing Manager. Maintains confidentiality as required pertaining to Citizens, clients, employees and general matters of the Nation.
Housing Department Duties
- Responsible for the intake of housing requests, and ensuring rental documentation and contracts are signed, up to date and filed
- Assists in evaluating and resolving housing maintenance issues
- Receives rental payments
- Responds to tenant complaints, and requests in person and by phone in a timely manner
- Works in collaboration with the Maintenance Department with direction on work orders
- Ensures the health and safety of all tenants as it pertains to repairs and maintenance in housing
- Participates in department meetings and training as required
- Responds to tenant complaints/requests in person and by phone in a timely manner, forwarding more complex matters to their supervisor.
- Responsible for scheduling inspections and meetings in the Housing Department
- Administers Housing applications and waitlist, assisting applicants in completing the application if need be and updating the waiting list.
- Takes accurate minutes of meetings and distributes as needed
- Maintains housing files in an orderly manner
- Inputs data into Xyntax software program
Other related duties as assigned
Training, Education, Experience
- Minimum Grade 12 or GED
- 1 year of office/clerical experience in a professional environment.
- Basic to intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Office and Microsoft Teams.
- General proficiency with technology including office equipment (copiers, phone systems, etc.)
- Acceptable Police Information Check (PIC)
- Valid class 5 BC driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of First Nations Housing (or willingness to learn)
- Knowledge of Xyntax Program an asset (or willingness to learn)
- Well-developed verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Communicates in a non-reactive and trauma-informed way while addressing client’s concerns.
- Skilled at listening and paying attention to the details.
- Good member service skills. Friendly, positive, responsive, professional and helpful.
- Well-developed office administration skills including filing and filing systems, operating office equipment and technology.
- Ability to take accurate and succinct meeting minutes.
- Well organized and proactive with strong time management skills. Ability to multi-task.
- Strong ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Basic understanding of the Tla’amin laws, regulations, and policies.
- Able to work independently with minimal day-to-day supervision as well as working within a collaborative team framework.
- Work is performed in an office environment (sitting, walking, carrying, lifting, kneeling, squatting) as well as driving to and from residential homes
- Strict adherence to all WorkSafe regulations and safe work practices
- Strict adherence to the Nation’s Covid-19 Safety Plan and CDC/Health Canada’s Covid-19 protocols
How to Apply
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter by email to: Jessie Peters, HR Manager at jobs@tn- bc.ca noting “Housing Administration Assistant” in the subject heading of your e-mail or drop-off/mail to Tla’amin Nation, 4779 Klahanie Rd, Powell River, BC, V8A 0C4
Closing Date: May 13, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.