Home > Tla’amin Housing

Tla’amin Nation Housing Program

Access to housing is critical to health and well-being of Tla’amin citizens. Tla’amin Nation has a vision for that its housing is safe, well cared for, and available for citizens who want to live in the community.

The Tla’amin First Nation Housing Program works with community citizens to:

  • Assist citizens to achieve home ownership
  • Apply for social housing funding and grants
  • Maintain social houses
  • Construct new social housing
  • Help private homeowners find available funding to maintain their homes

Housing in our community consists of 89 Nation-owned units and 143 private homes.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a rental/social housing unit?

Tla’amin citizens can apply for a social housing unit by completing the Housing Application Form and submitting it to housing@tn-bc.ca or dropping it off at the Tla’amin Government House at 4779 Klahanie Road. If you have questions or need help with the form, please call (604) 483-9646. Ext #145

Housing Application Form: Click here

How can I find out where I am on the waitlist?

Tla’amin citizens can learn about their place on the waitlist by emailing housing@tn-bc.ca or by calling (604) 483-9646. Ext #104. The waitlist is organized by date of application and size and type of unit needed. 

How can I pay rent? When is Rent due?

Rent can be paid on a bi-weekly or monthly basis and the total rent is due on the last day of each month. Tla’amin tenants can pay rent in two ways:

  1. Through etransfer to payment (at) tn-bc.ca
  2. By debit or cash at the front desk of the Tla’amin Government House at 4779 Klahanie Road.

How can I request home ownership?

Tla’amin tenants seeking home ownership may submit a written letter to the Housing Department indicating the request. We encourage tenants seeking home ownership to also attach relevant documents such as receipts, letters etc. Please send your request to housing@tn-bc.ca or drop it off at Tla’amin Government House at 4779 Klahanie Road.

What is the process for decision-making about home ownership?

The steps for homeownership are as follows:

  • Submitting a letter requesting home ownership with any supporting documents.
  • A finance statement is attained from Finance Department showing payments and presence of any outstanding arrears.
  • A due diligence form is filled out by Housing Manager with recommendations and provided to Executive Council.
  • Tla’amin Nation sends a letter with the decision and rationale.
  • Citizens may dispute decisions through the Administrative Appeals Committee.

We thank citizens in advance for their patience with this process which requires thorough review and due diligence.

How can I apply for funding to renovate or adapt my home?

The Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) provide repairs, maintenance, renovation and adaptation funding for Elders, those living with a disability, and other citizens of our community. Private Homeowners should connect with the Housing Department to see what they may be eligible for. The Housing Department will apply on behalf of social housing tenants. To find out if you are eligible, please call (604) 483-9646. Ext #104.

How do I apply for a building lot?

A small number of building lots are currently available for Tla’amin citizens who want to build their own home. Contact denise.smith@tn-bc.ca or call (604) 483-9646. Ext # 121.

What rules guide the tenant, landlord relationship?

The Tla’amin Residential Tenancy Agreement describes the rights and responsibilities of the landlord and tenant when it comes to repairs and maintenance, setting rental rates and payment of rent, garbage collection, pets, subletting, guests and other matters.

All tenants are required to sign a Residential Tenancy Agreement annually to ensure transparency and understanding between citizens, the Housing department, and the Tla’amin administration. Signed agreements can be returned via e-mail to Housing@tn-bc.ca or by dropping it off at the Tla’amin Government House at 4779 Klahanie Road.