Human Resources Generalist
The Tla’amin Nation is a modern, forward thinking, self-governing nation located on the beautiful upper Sunshine Coast (qathet Region).
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Department: Human Resources
Working with the HR Manager, the HR Generalist provides overall HR support to employees and managers. The HR Generalist carries out day-to-day activities of the Human Resources Department including recruiting, onboarding & orientation, policy administration, employee relations support, health & safety, benefits administration, leave management, and records management.
Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with Tla’amin laws, regulations, policies, practices, and procedures as directed by the CAO. Maintains confidentiality as required pertaining to Citizens, clients, employees, and general matters of the Nation.
Recruiting and Onboarding/Orientation
• Assists with the continuous improvement of Tla’amin Nation’s recruiting practices to ensure an effective and efficient process.
• Coordinates recruiting activities, ensuring Tla’amin policies, procedures, and practices are followed throughout the recruiting process. Ensures a positive process for candidates and managers.
• Works with Department Managers to develop/update position descriptions and job postings for approval.
• Works with the hiring manager to determine sourcing strategy and posts positions internally (website, Facebook) and external job posting sites.
• Supports the Hiring Manager and Hiring Panel to shortlist applicants, set up interviews, develop interview questions, conduct reference checks. Participates as a member of various hiring panels.
• Prepares Offer/Employment Agreement for approval and execution.
• Maintains the tracking spreadsheet for all open positions and communicates regularly with hiring managers and Department Managers on the status of recruiting activities.
• Assists with the continuous improvement of Tla’amin Nation’s onboarding and orientation program to welcome new employees and support them through the probation period.
• Works with the hiring manager to set up and ensure a smooth onboarding process for new employees. Meets with new employees to deliver the HR component of the process.
• Checks in with new employees and managers each month during the probation period and reminds managers of probation period milestones.
• Serves as a resource to employees in all aspects of the employment relationship
• Assists employees with policy interpretation, conflict resolution and working relationships, and other
employee relations issues.
• Assists with the coordination of team-building and social events.
• Acts as a resource to managers in all aspects of the employment relationship.
• Works with managers to ensure their teams have the tools, training, and support to be successful in
their roles and maximize team performance.
• Coaches and supports managers regarding their staff’s development/performance, assists with the
development of performance improvement plans, and coaches/supports managers through
• Handles HR administration, including benefits administration, leave tracking, employee file
• Acts as a resource to payroll staff with respect to employment legislation and benefits administration.
• Provides support to the Occupational Health & Safety Committee, including scheduling meetings, setting
agendas, and recording meeting minutes.
• Liaises and works cooperatively with the HR team to ensure department goals are achieved.
• Provides backup to essential functions of the HR Manager during a period of vacation or leave.
• Keeps up-to-date with changing employment-related legislation and advances information as required.
Other related duties as required.
Training, Education, Experience
• A Diploma or Degree in Human Resources Management or related field.
• A Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation or CPHR Candidate designation is an
• Minimum 3-5 years of progressive HR experience.
• Experience in full-cycle recruitment.
• Experience developing and delivering new employee onboarding and orientation.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Well developed knowledge of HR best practices and programs
• Exceptional interpersonal and coaching skills, with the ability to work with staff at all levels and
backgrounds and build trusting relationships. Ability to deal with conflict or difficult situations and work
with parties to find appropriate solutions.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Intermediate to Advanced computer skills in MS Office. Experience working with leave management
systems and other HR-based technology is an asset.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to streamline and continuously improve various HR processes.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Occasional travel to attend meetings or training is required.
How to Apply
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter by email to: Jessie Peters, HR Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org noting “HR Generalist” in the subject heading of your e-mail or drop-off/mail to Tla’amin Nation, 4779 Klahanie Rd, Powell River, BC, V8A 0C4
Closing Date: March 11, 2022
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.