Do you want to take an active role and make an impact in your community’s safety and well being? Do you have an interest in public safety and working with public safety partners? If you do, you have an opportunity to take part in an exciting six (6) week pilot project with the Nation on a community safety initiative.
Title: kʷʊnetagɩɬ (Community Patroller)
Job Type: 3 x Full-Time, Casual Term – Entry Level (6-Weeks)
Reporting to: Director of Community Services (DCS)
Renumeration: $21.00/hr, without benefits or pension.
The Community Patroller (CP) will conduct regular over night patrols in the main residential community of Tla’amin Nation. CP’s main role is to be the eyes and ears of the community, and follow the Observe, Record, Report (ORR), model when it comes to community safety.
• Operate Nation owned vehicles to conduct vehicle patrols of the community,
• Interact and engage with the community to learn about possible issues that impact health, safety, and security of Nation members,
• Make appropriate reports to the DCS for proper follow up and referrals to Nation departments and programs,
• Make appropriate reports to law enforcement, fire, or ambulance services to obtain services,
• Operate radios, computers, and other equipment as part of their duties,
• Any other applicable duties as determined by the DCS.
This is a uniformed position, and CPs will be expected to wear and maintain a uniform.
• Experience working in an Indigenous environment,
• Grade 12 or GED,
• Class 5 Driver’s License,
• Experience in dealing with conflict,
• Police Information Check with Vulnerability Sector Screen, that is acceptable to TN,
• Class 5 Driver’s Abstract that is acceptable to TN.
• Experience in law enforcement or first-responder positions,
• Experience in utilizing radios, computers, or report writing,
• Post-Secondary Education in Criminology, Justice, Sociology, or Police Studies.
Deadline: Until Filled
An acceptable Police Information Check with Vulnerability Sector Screen, and Class 5 Driver’s Abstract will be required from the successful candidate.
Please submit resume and cover letter, using “Community Patroller” as the subject, to:
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Absolutely no phone calls please.