NOTICE OF NOMINATIONS
Notice is hereby given that the Tla’amin Nation has called a By Election for April 02, 2022 in accordance with the Tla’amin Nation Election Law (TNL04|2016) for the purpose of eligible Voters electing one (1) Legislative Assembly position for the balance of the current term of the Legislature of the TLA’AMIN GOVERNMENT.
NOTICE OF NOMINATION MEETING
JANUARY 17, 2022
5:00 PM T0 7:00 PM
4885 HIGHWAY 101
POWELL RIVER, BC
IMPORTANT NOMINATION INFORMATION
TAKE NOTICE that in accordance with the Tla’amin Nation Election Law (TNL04|2016) there are provisions that MUST be satisfied for a nomination, and candidate eligibility to be approved by the Electoral Officer.
Electors eighteen (18) years and older as of the Election Date may nominate and/or be nominated at the Nomination Meeting, and Vote in this Election – and shall form the Voters List.
AN ELIGIBLE ELECTOR MAY NOMINATE ANOTHER ELIGIBLE ELECTOR FOR THE OFFICE OF LEGISLATOR IN WRITING. NOMINATION FORMS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE WEBSITE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS NOTICE, AT THE ADMINISTRATION OFFICE OR BY EMAIL FROM THE ELECTORAL OFFICER.
Electors are reminded that the requirements for nominations and qualifications of candidates are provided for in Section 5 of the Tla’amin Nation Nomination Regulation (05-04-16) please review this regulation if you intend to run for office.
All Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements of Schedule D, including the following:
1) Meet all of the eligibility requirements and are not, to the best of your knowledge, disqualified from holding office under the Election Law or any other Tla’amin Law or policy, including the requirements set out in sections 2 to 6 below;
2) Are a Tla’amin Citizen;
3) In good financial standing with the Tla’amin Nation;
4) Have not, in the 5 years immediately preceding election day, been convicted of an offence that carried the possibility of imprisonment for 2 years or more, which was not directly related to the exercise of Aboriginal rights, Treaty rights, or Aboriginal title;
5) Have not, in the 10 years immediately preceding election day, been convicted of an offence that carried the possibility of imprisonment for 10 years or more, which was not directly related to the exercise of Aboriginal rights, treaty rights or Aboriginal title; and;
6) Not serving a sentence in a correctional institution.
A NOMINEE WHO WISHES TO STAND AS A CANDIDATE MUST SUBMIT TO THE ELECTORAL OFFICER BY 7:00 PM, JANUARY 24, 2022 – THE FOLLOWING:
a) Complete Acceptance of Nomination Form (schedule C);
b) A non-refundable deposit made payable to the Tla’amin Nation;
c) Complete Certificate of Qualification (schedule D),
d) Evidence that they have submitted a request for criminal records check; and;
e) A complete Candidate Code of Fair Campaign Practices form (schedule A);
which will be available at the Nomination Meeting or electronically at the website at the bottom of this page.
You may obtain a copy of the Tla’amin Nation Election Law (TNL04|2016) from the Electoral Officer, by requesting a copy from the TN Government House or by visiting the website address at the bottom of this notice.
A copy of the voter’s list is available at the TN Government House for viewing and online at the website address at the bottom of this Notice. Any questions about the voter’s list may be brought to the attention of the Electoral Officer for resolution – including adding or removing a name.
NOTICE OF ELECTION REGULAR POLL
APRIL 02, 2022
8:00AM – 8:00PM
ALL ELIGIBLE ELECTORS WILL BE MAILED A MAIL-IN BALLOT PACKAGE TO THEIR LAST KNOWN ADDRESS
AND TAKE NOTICE: that Electors may vote in person at a polling station or electronically.
Given under my hand at Victoria, British Columbia, this 10th day of January, 2022.
Chief Electoral Officer
For more information or assistance please contact:
Drew Shaw, Chief Electoral Officer
Office: 250-384-8200 Toll Free: 1855-923-3006 Fax: 250-384-5416
209-852 Fort Street, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada V8W 1H8