Home > COVID-19 > Safety Alert for Covid-19 Rapid Test Kits

Following an increase in reports to poison control centers, Health Canada is advising Canadians about potential risks associated with the misuse or accidental ingestion or spillage on skin of COVID-19 rapid antigen test kit solutions. The BTNX Rapid Kits from Tla’amin Health include a liquid solution with chemical preservatives and may be poisonous if swallowed or absorbed through the skin, particularly in children and pets. 

Health Canada is aware of about 50 calls made to poison control centers in Canada related to accidental exposure, which have resulted in minor health outcomes.  We are advising you on a precautionary basis to help mitigate the risks associated with misuse, accidental ingestion, or skin exposure.

What you should do

  • Keep test kits and solutions out of the reach of children and pets
  • Do NOT swallow the solutions, and avoid eye and skin contact
  • Wash hands thoroughly after use
  • If spillage occurs, rinse well with water
  • Follow instructions for proper disposal

In case of accidental ingestion of chemical or direct skin exposure: 

Contact BC Poison Control  @ 1-800-567-8911

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/rapid-antigen-test-kits-and-potential-exposure-hazardous-substances