SUMMER STUDENT JOB POSTING
Tla’amin Nation has the following exciting job opportunities for its youth aged 15 to 30 years this summer! This year the Summer Student program will run from July 4th to August 26th. Over 15 youth are needed to fill all the positions; more than one student is needed for some positions.
To qualify, students must be completing full-time studies and returning to full-time studies in the fall. High school students will be paid $16/hour, whereas college/university students will be paid $17/hr.
To apply, please drop off your resume and a short cover letter at the Governance House or email it to: Noreen.email@example.com. Make sure to indicate in your letter which 3 positions are of most interest to you and how you are a good fit for them. You can get help with your resume and cover letter at Ahms Tah Ow, Monday to Thursday, 3:30-5:30 pm.
1. The Guardian Watchmen: As a Guardian you are responsible for patrolling and monitoring our waters and beaches. You participate with BC Parks to do joint patrols, monitor archeological sites, respond to concerns about archeological sites, dumping, illegal harvest, etc.
The Guardians operate under the Lands and Resources Department.
2. Recreation Worker: Whether you are in the office one day, or out in the field the next, a career in recreation means enhancing the quality of life for your entire community through sports, arts and culture programming, educational environmental conservation efforts, social equity, and health and wellness. In this position you might get to help: the weight room attendant, culture camp councillors, youth centre support staff, drop-in sport support staff, etc.
3. GIS Summer Student: This position in the Geographic Information Systems is for students interested in information technology and/or survey technology. The selected student will be trained in using relevant technology/software, for example, to collect community data on an iPad. The two selected candidates must be able to work without constant direct supervision and be able to work with others; the position requires lots of time outside the office, walking, which will be done in a pair.
4. Clerk/Archivist Position: The Lands and Resources Department is seeking a student to sort, organize, and catalogue files and documents.
5. Yard Work Crew: In these positions, students will learn from a hard-working crew making our community safe, clean, and beautiful. They will help with elders’ lawn cutting, landscaping, brush cutting, and other general community maintenance jobs. Students will learn how to safely use a variety of hand tools and power equipment and about the importance of Fire-Smart landscaping practices. These are very active positions so student employees need to be able to consistently lift 40 lbs and must be mature enough to safely use power tools and equipment.
6. Water/Wastewater Summer Student: In this position, students will learn about the infrastructure systems that run through t̓išosəm. They will help with general maintenance of these systems along-side our experienced and knowledgeable crew.Language & Culture Summer Student: In this position, a student will help with language recording, documenting, etc. They will help catalogue all cultural assets such as baskets and artifacts and will help with set up a database for these items.
7. Language & Culture Summer Student: In this position, a student will help with language recording, documenting, etc. They will help catalogue all cultural assets such as baskets and artifacts and will help with set up a database for these items.
8. Public Safety Summer Student: If you have an interest in public safety, like working out on the land and in the village, helping to protect Tla’amin Lands, then the Public Safety Department has an exciting summer student opportunity. You will get to work with Tla’amin’s Enforcement Officers and engage with other public safety agencies such as police, Conservation Officer Service, Fisheries Officers, and more. To be considered, you must be physically fit, able to pass a background check and be willing to wear a uniform during your shift.
9. Governance and Strategic Initiatives Department Summer Student: In this position you will learn how treaty influences policy and data initiatives. Summer projects include developing communication tools, planning data projects, and collaborating with staff to include youth perspectives.
10. Daycare Summer Student: In this position, students will support daycare staff with preparation of activities for children up to 5 years of age, such as at circle time, in centers, and in transition time between activities — including set up, take down and cleaning of materials. They will help provide high quality care for children, and fun experiences, and will help ensure the safety and wellbeing of all the kids. This position involves working as a member of a team, engaging in regular communication with families at pick-up/drop-off, and maintaining confidentiality. Applicants for this position must be at least 19 years old and must have taken, or be willing to take, the Responsible Adult 20-hour course at no cost to the student during their first days of work. A Food Safe Certificate would also be an asset or expressed willingness to take the training at no cost to the student. A Criminal Record Check is required and paid for by the employer
11. Parking Attendant in Lund*: This position is for a physically fit student to work with our Parking Attendant to perform the following functions, at the direction of the Tla’amin Management Services Parking Attendant: Direct cars to open spaces; help parking lot users with parking machines; provide help, as directed, to the Parking Attendant. This role may include handling cash and emptying parking meters. Strong customer service skills are needed.
12. Restaurant Helper/Kitchen Aide/Dishwasher in Lund*: This position is for a student experienced in any aspects of pub/restaurant operation. The work includes general kitchen help, food preparation; kitchen surface/equipment cleaning; table bussing; and providing help, as directed by Chef, and F&B Manager. Applicants for this position must be at least 19 years old. A Food Safe Certificate would be an asset or expressed willingness to take the training at no cost to the student.
13. Store Stocker*: This position is located at the Stockpile store in Lund. The responsibilities include keeping store shelves well stocked, doing inventory counts, receiving and assisting with outgoing orders, as well as similar duties assigned by the store manager.
14. Gas Dock Attendant*: This position involves assisting boat customers with their gas and handling payment transactions (cash, credit or cheque), and perhaps some minor maintenance (cleaning, painting). The right candidate will be friendly, organized, and reliable.
*Students interested in positions in Lund will need to have their own reliable transportation to/from Lund.
Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, June 20th, at 4 pm. Short listed students will then be invited to a short interview during the following days/week. Selected students will begin on Monday, July 4th. Any required uniform, safety gear, etc. will be provided to the student free of charge.
All summer students will begin their employment period with a paid 2-day First Aid course (Monday, June 20th and Wednesday, June 22nd).
Any questions about this employment opportunity can be directed to Noreen.firstname.lastname@example.org