Notice is hereby given that the Tla’amin Nation has called an Election for September 19, 2020, in accordance with the Tla’amin Nation Election Law (TNL04|2016) for the purpose of eligible Voters electing the Office of Hegus (1 position) and Legislative Assembly (8) Positions for the ensuing term of the Legislature.
NOTICE OF NOMINATIONS
COMMENCING THURSDAY JULY 30TH 2020 YOU MAY SUBMIT YOUR WRITTEN NOMINATION TO THE ELECTORAL OFFICER BY EMAIL OR FAX FOR A SEVEN (7) DAY PERIOD. ALL WRITTEN NOMINATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5PM AUGUST 9TH
IMPORTANT NOMINATION INFORMATION
TAKE NOTICE that in accordance with the Tla’amin Nation Election Law (TNL04|2016) there are provisions that MUST be satisfied in order for a nomination, and candidate eligibility to be approved by the Electoral Officer.
Electors eighteen (18) years and older as of the date of the Election Date may nominate and/or be nominated at the Nomination Meeting, and Vote in this Election – and shall form the Voters List.
An eligible elector may nominate another eligible elector for the Office of Hegus and the Office of Legislator IN WRITING. NOMINATION FORMS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE WEBSITE AT THE BOTTON OF THIS NOTICE, AT THE ADMINISTRATION OFFICE OR BY EMAIL FROM THE ELECTORAL OFFICER. NOMINATIONS WILL BE UPDATED ON THE ELECTIONS WEBPAGE DAILY TO KEEP ELECTORS INFORMED.
Electors are reminded that the requirements for nominations and qualifications of candidates are provided for in Section 5 of the Tla’amin Nation Nomination Regulation (TNR04/2016). Please review this regulation if you intend to run for office.
All Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements of Schedule D, including the following:
1) Meet all of the eligibility requirements and are not, to the best of your knowledge, disqualified from holding office under the Election Law or any other Tla’amin Law or policy, including the requirements set out in sections 2 to 6 below;
2) Are a Tla’amin Citizen;
3) In good standing with the Tla’amin Nation (which is defined under the interpretation Law as “not currently indebted to the Tla’amin Nation, or if indebted to the Tla’amin Nation, a written agreement for repayment has been entered into and there has been no default on that agreement or any previous agreement within the past two years”);
4) Have not, in the 5 years immediately preceding election day, been convicted of an offence that carried the possibility of imprisonment for 2 years or more, which was not directly related to the exercise of Aboriginal rights, Treaty rights, or Aboriginal title;
5) Have not, in the 10 years immediately preceding election day, been convicted of an offence that carried the possibility of imprisonment for 10 years or more, which was not directly related to the exercise of Aboriginal rights, treaty rights or Aboriginal title; and;
6) Not serving a sentence in a correctional institution.
A NOMINEE WHO WISHES TO STAND AS A CANDIDATE MUST SUBMIT TO THE ELECTORAL OFFICER BY 4:30PM SUNDAY AUGUST 16th, 2020:
a) Complete Acceptance of Nomination Form (schedule C);
b) A deposit made payable to the Tla’amin Nation;
c) Complete Certificate of Qualification (schedule D),
d) Evidence that they have submitted a request for criminal records check; and;
e) A complete Candidate Code of Fair Campaign Practices form (schedule A);
which will be available at the Nomination Meeting or electronically at the website at the bottom of this page.
You may obtain a copy of the Tla’amin Nation Election Law (TNL04|2016) from the Electoral Officer, by requesting a copy from the TN Government House or by visiting the website address at the bottom of this notice.
A copy of the voters list is available at the TN Government House for viewing and online at the website address at the bottom of this Notice. Any questions about the voters list may be brought to the attention of the Electoral Officer for resolution – including adding or removing a name.
NOTICE OF ELECTION
REGULAR POLL SEPTEMBER 19, 2020 – 8:00AM – 8:00PM
AND TAKE NOTICE: that Electors may vote in person at a polling station or electronically.
Given under my hand at Victoria, British Columbia, this 6th day of July, 2020.
Nicole Hajash, Electoral Officer
For more information or assistance please contact:
Nicole Hajash, Electoral Officer
Patrick Marshall, Deputy Electoral Officer
Office: (250) 384-8200
Fax: 250 384-5416
209-852 Fort Street, Victoria, BC V8W 1H8